80s-RADIOmusic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

May 18

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

May      18 Empty
PostSubject: May 18   May      18 Empty17.11.08 23:00

Births
1911 Joe Turner, US blues songwriter. Wrote 'Shake Rattle and Roll', 'Sweet Sixteen'. He died on 23rd November 1985.

1912 Perry Como, singer, TV presenter, (1957 US No.1 single 'Round And Round', 15 US & over 25 UK chart hits, 1958 UK No.1 single 'Magic Moments'). Como died on 12th May 2001.

1942 Albert Hammond, (1972 US No.5 single 'It Never Rains In Southern California', 1973 UK No.19 single 'Free Electric Band').

1946 Bruce Gilbert, guitar, Wire, (1989 UK No.68 single 'Eardrum Buzz').

1946 George Alexander, The Flamin Groovies, (1976 album 'Shake Some Action).

1949 Rick Wakeman, keyboards, Strawbs, Yes, ('1974 UK No.1 album 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth').

1949 William Wallace, Guess Who, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman').

1952 George Strait, US country singer, songwriter, (1992 album 'Pure Country' spent 40 weeks on the US chart). He has the second most number one country hits among any artist in any musical genre in history, totaling 53 number one hit songs. Only Conway Twitty has more, with 55.

1953 Butch Tavares, Tavares, (1976 UK No.4 and US No.15 single 'Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel').

1954 Wreckless Eric (Eric Goulden), singer, songwriter and Stiff records artist, had the 1978 UK airplay hit 'Whole Wide World'.

1957 Michael Cretu, Enigma, (1991 UK No.1 & US No.5 single 'Sadness Part 1).

1958 Victoria Wilcox, (Toyah) 1981 UK No.8 single 'I Want To Be Free.'

1961 Hugh Whittaker, Housemartins, (1986 UK No.1 single 'Caravan Of Love').

1961 Russell Senior, guitar, Pulp, (1995 UK No.2 single 'Common People'). Left the band on 20th January 1997.

1969 Martika, US singer, (1989 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Toy Soldiers').

1975 Jack Johnson, Hawaii born singer, songwriter, surfer, (2006 UK No.1 album 'In Between Dreams', 2006 US & Australian No.1 album ‘Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George').

Deaths
1980 Joy Division singer Ian Curtis, overwhelmed with depression, hung himself at the age of 23, with Iggy Pop's 'The Idiot', on his turntable and a note which said, 'At this very moment, I wish I were dead. I just can't cope anymore.'

1999 25-year-old Robbie O'Neil was found dead from a heroin overdose at Shane MacGowan's London flat.

2004 Clint Warwick the original bass player with The Moody Blues died from liver disease at the age of 63. Clint left the band in 1966 after playing on their only number one hit, ‘Go Now.’

Events
1963 The Beatles began their first headlining tour at the Grenada Theatre in Slough, England.

1963 Jimmy Soul was a No.1 on the US singles chart with 'If You Want To Be Happy', a No.39 hit in the UK.

1967 The Tremeloes started a three week run at No.1 in the UK with the single 'Silence Is Golden'.

1967 John Lennon and Paul McCartney sang backing vocals on The Rolling Stones track 'We Love You' during a session at Olympic Studios, London .

1967 The Beatles were selected to represent the UK for the first-ever global-wide satellite broadcast. The group agreed to be shown in the studio recording a song written especially for the occasion, scheduled for June 25. John Lennon wrote ’All You Need is Love’ which was thought to sum up the 1967 'summer of love' and The Beatles' sympathies. With the satellite broadcast being broadcast to many non-English-speaking countries, the BBC asked The Beatles to 'keep it simple'.

1968 Archie Bell and the Drells started a 2 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Tighten Up', it didn't chart in the UK.

1968 Scott Walker was at No.1 on the UK chart with his second album 'Scott 2.'

1968 The Northern California Rock Festival in Santa Clara with Grateful Dead, The Doors, The Steve Miller Band and Jefferson Airplane.

1968 Tiny Tim's "Tiptow through the Tulips" was released. It was originally a number one hit for Nick Lucas in 1929.

1974 Ray Stevens started a 3 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the novelty song 'The Streak'. Also No.1 in the UK.

1974 The Rubettes started a 4 week run at No.1 in the UK with the single 'Sugar Baby Love'.

1975 Five times married US country singer, Tammy Wynette was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Stand By Your Man.'

1978 "The Buddy Holly Story" had its world premiere in Dallas, TX.

1978 Appearing at Newcastle Upon Tyne City Hall, England, The Buzzcocks supported by Penetration.

1984 Simple Minds were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Don't You Forget About Me', taken from the film 'The Breakfast Club, (it made No. 7 in the UK) .

1991 US act Hi-Five went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Like The Way, (The Kissing Game)', a No.43 hit in the UK.

1991 R.E.M. went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Out Of Time.'

1991 US act Hi-Five went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Like The Way, (The Kissing Game)', a No.43 hit in the UK.

1992 Sister Souljah was quoted by the Washington Post as saying "If black people kill black people ever day, why not have a week and kill white people."

1993 In Glasgow four Bands were playing at one venue, Sister Lovers, 18 Wheeler, Boyfriend and Oasis, Creation Records boss Alan McGee was in the audience who declared, 'I've found the greatest rock 'n' roll band since The Beatles'.

1993 Michael Bolton played the first of four sold out nights at Wembley Arena, London.

1996 Bone Thugs-N-Harmony started a 8 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Crossroads', a No.8 hit in the UK.

1997 Blur won pop music's equivalent of the FA Cup, the Music Industry Soccer Six. The band's win at Fulham's FC's ground Craven Cottage saw them beating off competition from Robbie Williams, My Life Story and The Prodigy.

1997 George Strait was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Carrying Your Love With Me.’

1999 The Backstreet Boys released their third album "Millennium."

2000 Madonna's boyfriend Guy Ritchie was arrested after attacking a fan outside the superstar's London home. Ritchie was said to have kicked and punched a male fan after the couple returned home from a night out.

2003 Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots) was arrested for drug possession. He was released on $10,000 bail.

2003 "Les Miserables" closed after 6,680 shows and 16 years on Broadway.

2003 Justin Timberlake went back to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Justified.’

2003 The Isley Brothers were at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Body Kiss’ the groups first US No.1 in over 30 years.

2004 "Hee Haw Collection" was released. It was the first time that full shows were released on VHS and DVD.

2004 It was announced that the Country Cow Creamery would be producing the ice cream flavors Ozzy's Carnivorous Carrot Cake and Death by Sharon in honor of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.
Back to top Go down

May 18
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
80s-RADIOmusic ::  80s MISCELLANEOUS :: TODAY IN MUSIC-
Jump to: