80s-RADIOmusic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

June 06

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

June    06 Empty
PostSubject: June 06   June    06 Empty17.11.08 23:07

Births
1936 Levi Stubbs, vocals, The Four Tops, (1965 US No.1 single 'I Can't Help Myself', 1967 UK No.6 single 'Standing In The Shadows of Love').

1939 Gary U.S. Bonds, singer, (1961 US No.1 single 'Quarter To Three', 1981 UK No.43 single 'This Little Girl').

1942 Howie Kane, Jay and the Americans, (1969 US No.6 single 'This Magic Moment plus nine other US Top 30 hits).

1944 Clarence White, guitar, The Byrds, (1965 UK & US No.1 single 'Mr Tambourine Man'). White died on July 14th 1973.

1944 Edgar Ffoese, keyboards, guitar, Tangerine Dream, (1974 UK No.15 album 'Phaedra').

1944 Peter Albin, Janis Joplin Band, (1971 US No.1 single 'Me And Bobby McGee', 1971 US No.1 album 'Pearl').

1955 Michael Wallace, keyboards, Third World, (1978 UK No. 10 single 'Now That We've Found Love'). Wallace was shot dead on 6th July 1999.

1959 Robert Hodgens, guitar, vocals, The Bluebells, (1993 UK No.1 single with the re-issued 'Young At Heart').

1960 Steve Vai, guitarist, Frank Zappa, David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Here I Go Again').

1961 D.C. Lee, singer, Wham! Style Council, (1983 UK No.3 single 'Long Hot Summer') Solo (1985 UK No.3 single 'See The Day').

1961 Tom Araya, vocals, bass, Slayer, (1995 UK No.50 single 'Serenity In Murder').

1965 David White, Brother Beyond, (1988 UK No.2 single 'The Harder I Try').

1966 Gary Newby, The Railway Children, (1991 UK No.24 single 'Every Beat Of The Heart').

1970 James Shaffer, guitar, Korn, (1998 UK No.23 single 'Got The Life', 1998 US No.1 album 'Follow The Leader').

1978 Carl Barat, singer, The Libertines, (2004 UK No.1 album ‘The Libertines’). Dirty Pretty Things, (2006 UK No.3 album ‘Waterloo to Anywhere’).

1987 Kyle Falconer, lead vocalist, guitarist, The View, (2007 UK No.1 album ‘Hats Off to the Buskers’).

Deaths
1966 Roy Orbison's first wife, Claudette, was killed when a truck pulled out of a side road and collided with the motorbike that she and her husband were riding on, she was 25.

1986 A&R man Dick Rowe died of diabetes. Rowe became famous for not signing The Beatles to Decca records and made the classic quote 'Nobody cares about guitar groups anymore.' He did however sign The Rolling Stones to Decca.

1996 Inventor William Palmer died. He invented the magnetic tape recorder; before this music had been cut direct to record.

2002 Dee Dee Ramone guitarist with The Ramones died in Los Angeles of a drug overdose aged 49.

2003 Keyboard player with The Animals Dave Rowberry died aged 62. The Animals had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun').

Events
1960 Tony Williams left the Platters for a solo career.

1960 Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely" was released in the U.S.

1962 The Beatles auditioned for producer George Martin of EMI Records.

1964 The Dixie Cups started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Chapel Of Love', it made No.22 in the UK.

1969 Rod Stewart signed a solo recording contract with Mercury Records.

1970 CSN&Y's "Teach Your Children" was released.

1970 Christie were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Yellow River', the groups only No.1.

1970 Appearing at this years Buxton Festival in Derbyshire, England, Colosseum, Taste, Atomic Rooster, Matthews Southern Comfort, Brinsley Schwarz, The Strawbs and Daddy Longlegs .

1971 "The Ed Sullivan Show" aired for the last time. It was canceled after 23 years on the air. Gladys Knight and the Pips were the musical guests on show.

1971 John Lennon and Yoko Ono appeared on stage for the first time since 1969 when they join Frank Zappa for a show at the Fillmore East.

1972 David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" was released.

1977 Stevie Wonder delivered an unannounced lecture to a UCLA class studying the record industry. He also performed.

1977 Appearing at Earls Court, London, Queen.

1979 Def Leppard played at Crookes Workingman's Club in Sheffield. The gig was reviewed in UK music paper 'Sounds' and led to a recording contract with Phonogram Records.

1982 The "Peace Sunday: We Have a Dream" rally took place at the Rose Bowl.

1987 Kim Wilde went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You Keep Me Hanging On', a No.2 hit in the UK. The song had been a 1966 hit for The Supremes.

1987 Simple Minds scored their third UK No.1 album with 'Live In The City Of Light'.

1987 Whitney Houston had her second UK No.1 single with 'I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)'.

1990 A Federal judge in Florida declared that 2 Live Crew's "As Nasty As They Wanna Be" LP was obscene.

1992 David Bowie and Iman were married in Florence, Italy.

1992 Lionel Richie started a six-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with the compilation LP 'Back To Front'.

1993 A re-formed Velvet Underground played at Wembley Arena, London.

1995 Pink Floyd released its two-CD live album, "Pulse."

1998 B*Witched scored their first UK No.1 single with 'C'est La Vie', making them the seventh act in chart history to debut at No.1. Also today for only the second time in chart history all of the Top 3 singles on the UK chart were new entries.

1998 Boyzone scored their third UK No.1 album with 'Where We Belong', it was also the first time in chart history that both the No.1 positions were by Irish acts, with B*Witched at the top of the singles chart.

1998 Brandy & Monica started an 11 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Boy Is Mine'.

1999 Australian filmmaker Baz Luhrmann went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen'.

1999 Boyzone started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'By Request', the group's fourth No.1 album.

1999 Plans were announced for Elvis Presley to tour the UK almost 23 years after his death with a virtual version of the 'King' performing with a live orchestra and members of his band.

1999 Backstreet Boys started a five week run at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Millennium’, the US boy bands first No.1 album

2002 In Malibu, CA, Diana Ross entered a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center.

2003 A High court judge in London ruled that rap lyrics should be treated as a foreign language after admitting that he was unsure of the meaning of 'shizzle my nizzle' and 'mish mish man.' The court battle was over a copyright issue between the Ant'ill Mob and the Heartless Crew who had used the lyrics on a remix.

2004 Avril Lavigne was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Under My Skin’, the Canadian singers second US No.1.

2004 Mario Winana feat Enya & P Diddy started a two week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Don’t Wanna Know.'

2007 Spice Girl Melanie Brown married film producer boyfriend Stephen Belafonte at the Special Memory Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas.
Back to top Go down

June 06
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
80s-RADIOmusic ::  80s MISCELLANEOUS :: TODAY IN MUSIC-
Jump to: