80s-RADIOmusic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

June 10

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

June    10 Empty
PostSubject: June 10   June    10 Empty17.11.08 23:09

Births
1910 Blues singer, guitarist, Chester Burnett, (Howlin Wolf). 1956 hit, 'Smoke Stack Lightning'. He died from cancer on January 10th 1976.

1922 Judy Garland, singer, actress. Played Dorothy in the 1939 film 'Wizard Of Oz' sang 'Over The Rainbow' in the film, 1961 US No.1 comeback album 'Judy At Carnegie Hall'. 'Over The Rainbow' was voted the 'Song Of The Century' in a 2001 poll published in America. She died June 22nd 1969 of a barbiturate overdose.

1941 Shirley Owens, The Shirelles, (1961 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow').

1944 Rick Price, The Move, (1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry Way'), Wizzard, (1973 UK No.1 single 'See My Baby Jive').

1961 Kim Deal, bass guitar, vocals, Pixies, (1990 UK No.28 single 'Velouria'), The Breeders, (1993 UK No.40 'Cannonball EP').

1961 Mark Shaw, vocals, Then Jerico, (1989 UK No.13 single 'Big Area').

1964 Emma Anderson, guitar, Lush, (1996 UK No.21 single 'Single Girl').

1964 Jimmy Chamberlin, drums, Smashing Pumpkins, (1995 US No.1 album 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness', 1996 UK No.7 single 'Tonight Tonight').

1967 Darren Robinson, (Human Breathbox), Rapper, The Fat Boys, (1988 UK No.2 single 'Wipe-out'). Died 9th December 1995.

1971 Joel Hailey, (Jojo), vocals, Jodeci, (1995 UK No.17 single 'Freek 'N' You).

1973 Faith Evans, US female singer, (1997 US & UK No.1 single with Puff Daddy 'I'll Be Missing You', 2000 UK No.26 single with Whitney Houston, 'Heartbreak Hotel').

Deaths
1982 Addi Harris from The Shirelles died of a heart attack after a show in Atlanta.

2004 US singer, songwriter Ray Charles died aged 73. Glaucoma rendered Charles blind at the age of six. Had the 1962 UK & US No.1 single 'I Can't Stop Loving You' plus over 30 US Top 40 singles and the 2005 US No.1 album 'Genius Loves Company.' The singer was married twice and fathered twelve children by seven different women.

Events
1956 Pat Boone was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I'll Be Home.' Boone scored over 30 UK Top 40 hit singles during the 50's and early 60's.

1964 Capitol Records released the Beatles' single "A Hard Days Night" and the album of the same name.

1964 The first edition of the official Rolling Stones book was issued, price one and six.

1964 The Rolling Stones recorded 'It's All Over Now', during their first session at Chess studios.

1966 Steve Marriott of The Small Faces collapsed while performing on the TV show 'Ready Steady Go!', the group were forced to cancel the following weeks gigs.

1966 The Beatles were first heard using reversed tape in the song "Rain." It was a 'B' side to the song "Paperback Writer."

1967 Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her" was released.

1972 Sammy Davis Jr started a 3 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Candy Man', his only US No.1. The song was taken from the film 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

1972 Elvis Presley played his first ever concert in New York, the shows were recorded and became the album 'Elvis as recorded at Madison Square Garden.'

1972 The Rolling Stones double album 'Exile On Main Street' went to No.1 on the UK chart.

1974 The Who began a four-night sold-out run at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

1976 Paul McCartney and Wings set a record for an indoor concert crowd when 67,100 fans gathered in Seattle, WA.

1977 Joe Strummer and Topper Headon of The Clash were arrested for painting the band's name on a wall in London.

1978 Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good" was released.

1978 John Travolta and Olivia Newton John went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You're The One That I Want', also No.1 in the UK.

1981 Andy Gibb opened in the role of Frederic in a Los Angeles production of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Pirates of Penzance."

1983 Chris Sievey of UK group The Freshies released the first computer game single. When played on a Sinclair ZX 81 computer via a record deck the lyrics of the song came on the screen.

1985 Frank Sinatra was portrayed as a friend of organized crime in a "Doonesbury" comic strip. Over 800 newspapers carried the panel.

1986 Jerry Garcia of The Grateful Dead, went into a five day diabetic coma, resulting in the band with drawing from their current tour.

1988 The first of two nights at Earls Court, London with George Michael.

1989 Bette Midler went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Wind Beneath My Wings', taken from the film 'Beaches', a No.5 hit in the UK.

1989 Jason Donovan had his 2nd UK No.1 single with 'Sealed With A Kiss.'

1989 Madonna's 'Express Yourself', became her 18th UK top 5 hit, a new record for a female artist.

1990 Two members of 2 Live Crew were arrested in Hollywood, FL, on obscenity charges. The album had been judged as obscene by a federal judge.

1991 Temptation Eddie Kendricks was arrested while attending the funeral of David Ruffin in Detroit on charges of owing $26,000 in child support.

1991 Nirvana and Dinosaur Jr kicked off an 8-date tour at the Gothic Theater in Denver.

1992 A judge in Los Angeles, CA, threw out a $25 million palimony suit against Rod Stewart. The suit had been brought by Kelly Emberg.

1997 INXS kicked off a seven date UK tour at Aberdeen Exhibition Centre.

1998 Steve Sanders (Oak Ridge Boys) was found dead at the age of 45. He had apparently died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound.

1998 DMX was arrested in New York on charges of rape, sodomy and unlawful imprisonment. DMX denied the charges.

2001 Radiohead went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Amnesiac'.

2002 Former Wet Wet Wet singer Marti Pellow made his debut appearance in the London West End show 'Chicago' at The Adelphi Theatre.

2003 Kim Mathers, the ex-wife of rapper Eminem, was arrested and released pending further investigation in St. Clair Shores, Michigan, for driving with a revoked license. Two Ziploc bags containing a 'white powdery substance' were found in the glove box of her white Cadillac.

2006 Dixie Chicks started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Taking the Long Way’ the American country girl group’s eighth album.

2007 The Rolling Stones played their first UK festival in over 30 years when they appeared at the Isle of Wight Festival. The Stones arrived at the Isle of Wight on their own privately chartered ferry for their 200-strong entourage including five Winnebago trailers and private security team. The Stones last UK festival appearance was Knebworth Fair in 1976.

2007 Rihanna went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her third album 'Good Girl Gone Bad.' Feauturing the single ‘Umbrella’ which spent 10 consecutive weeks at No.1 in the UK making it the longest running No.1 single since Wet Wet Wet's ‘Love Is All Around' and the longest running No.1 by a female artist since Whitney Houston's ‘I Will Always Love You.’

2007 R Kelly was at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Double Up.' His eleventh studio album featured guest appearances by Snoop Dogg, Nelly, T.I., Usher, Huey, Ludacris and Kid Rock.
Back to top Go down

June 10
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
80s-RADIOmusic ::  80s MISCELLANEOUS :: TODAY IN MUSIC-
Jump to: