80s-RADIOmusic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

June 11

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

June    11 Empty
PostSubject: June 11   June    11 Empty17.11.08 23:09

Births
1940 Joseph DiNicola, Joey and the Starlighters. (1962 US No.1 single 'Peppermint Twist, Part 1'). Jimi Hendrix was a member of the band during 1964.

1946 John Lawton, Uriah Heep, (1975 UK No.7 album 'Return To Fantasy').

1947 Glenn Leonard, vocals, The Temptations, (1971 UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and re-issued 'My Girl' UK No.2 in 1992).

1948 Alan Skipper, drums, The Pretty Things, (1964 UK No.10 single 'Don't Bring Me Down').

1949 Frank Beard, drums, ZZ Top, (1984 US No.8 & 1985 UK No.16 single 'Legs').

1951 Lynsey De Paul, UK singer, songwriter, (1972 UK No.5 single 'Sugar Me'). Became the first woman to win an Ivor Novello song-writing award.

1960 Nick Hallam, DJ, producer, co founder of Gee Street Records, Stereo MC's, (1992 UK No.12 single 'Step It Up').

1961 Robert Birch, vocals, Stereo MC's, (1992 UK No.12 single 'Step It Up').

Events
1940 The Ink Spots recorded "Maybe."

1949 Hank Williams made his debut at the 'Grand Ole Opry' in Nashville and received an unprecedented total of six encores.

1962 The Beatles recorded a BBC radio program, "Here We Go", at the Playhouse Theatre in Manchester, in front of a studio audience composed largely of loyal Cavern fans. This is the last recording on which Pete Best plays drums.

1965 The Rolling Stones released "Got Live If You Want It."

1966 Janis Joplin debuted on stage at the Avalon ballroom in San Francisco.

1966 The Rolling Stones started a 2 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Paint It Black', the groups 3rd US No.1 single. Also a No.1 in the UK.

1967 Printed in this week's music weekly Melody Maker's ad's pages, 'Freaky lead guitarist, bass and drummer wanted for Marc Bolan's new group. Also any other astral flyers like with car's amplification and that which never grows in window boxes, phone Wimbledon 0697.'

1969 David Bowie's single, "Space Oddity," was released to coincide with the first lunar landing.

1969 The Beatles went to No. 1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Ballad Of John and Yoko' the groups 17th No.1.

1976 AC/DC started their first headline tour of the UK appearing in Scotland.

1977 Joe Strummer and Topper Headon were detained overnight in prison in Newcastle upon Tyne having failed to appear at Morpeth Magistrates on May 21st. Both Clash members were to answer a charge relating to the theft of a Holiday Inn pillowcase. They were both fined ?100 ($170).

1977 The *** Pistols reached No. 2 in the singles chart with 'God Save The Queen.'

1977 KC & The Sunshine Band became only the second group after The Jackson Five to achieve 4 US No.1s, when 'I'm Your Boogie Man' went to the top of the charts.

1978 The Rolling Stones released "Some Girls."

1978 The top ten posters for sale in this weeks NME included Debbie Harry, Olivia Newton-John, Saturday Night Fever, Cheryl Ladd in hot pants, Yes live and Genesis, all priced at 1.10 Pounds.

1980 Echo and the Bunnymen played the first night of a 19-date tour at The Trinity Hall, Bristol. The bands first full UK tour.

1983 Drummer Alex Van Halen married Valeri Kendall in Los Angeles. Brother Eddie Van Halen was best man.

1988 Nelson Mandellas 70th birthday tribute took place at Wembley Stadium, featuring Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Stevie Wonder, Tracy Chapman, George Michael, Eric Clapton, UB40, The Eurythmics and Simple Minds. The event was broadcast live on BBC 2 to 40 different countries with an estimated audience of 1 billion.

1990 Olivia Newton-John became a United Nations environmental ambassador.

1993 The Ike and Tina Turner film biography "What's Love Got To Do With It" opened.

1995 Courtney Love (Hole) was hospitalized after having a reaction to a prescription medicine.

1996 A Metallica concert at a small club in San Francisco was broadcast live via the Internet.

1997 Mick Hucknall received a Master Of Science Degree at UMIST, Manchester for his fund-raising work following an IRA bombing the year before.

1998 Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots) skipped a scheduled court date and checked himself into a drug treatment facility.

1998 Amazon.com expanded its product line from books only to compact discs as well.

1999 Ricky Martin performed on NBC's "Today" show in New York City.

2000 Aaliyah went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Try Again'. It became the first "airplay-only" song to reach No.1 on the US singles chart (no points from a commercial single release).

2000 On this weeks Top 3 US album chart; Eminem, 'The Marshall Mathers LP' at No.1. Kid Rock, 'The History Of Rock' at No.2 and Britney Spears, 'Oops!...I Did It Again' at No.3.

2001 Sir Paul McCartney married Heather Mills at St Salvator Church, Ireland. Guests included Ringo Starr, David Gilmour, Jools Holland and Chrissie Hynde. Heather walked down the aisle clutching a bouquet of 11 'McCartney' roses.

2002 The live Bee Gees album "One Night Only" was released on CD.

2003 Adam Ant was arrested after going berserk and stripping off in a London cafe. The former 1980's pop star had thrown stones at neighbour's homes smashing windows before going to the nearby cafe.

2004 Courtney Love surrendered to US police after allegedly assaulting a woman at the home of her former manager and ex-boyfriend. Ms Love was charged with assault with a deadly weapon. She was later released on bail. The charges related to an incident on 25 April 2004, when Ms Love allegedly assaulted a woman with a bottle and a torch at the LA home of Jim Barber.

2006 Sandi Thom went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Smile ... It Confuses People' the Scottish singer, songwriters debut album which featured the hit 'I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker, (with flowers in My Hair').
Back to top Go down

June 11
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
80s-RADIOmusic ::  80s MISCELLANEOUS :: TODAY IN MUSIC-
Jump to: