80s-RADIOmusic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

June 12

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

June    12 Empty
PostSubject: June 12   June    12 Empty17.11.08 23:10

Births
1928 Vic Damone, US singer, 1958 UK No.1 & US No.4 single 'On The Street Where You Live'.

1941 Chick Corea, jazz musician. Worked with Miles Davis, Stanley Clarke, Bobby McFerrin.

1941 Roy Harper, UK folk singer, songwriter, (1977 UK No.25 album 'Bullinamingvase'). Led Zeppelin wrote 'Hat's Of To Roy Harper' featured on the bands third album.

1943 Reg Presley, The Troggs, (1966 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Wild Thing'). Wrote 'Love Is All Around', 15 weeks as UK No.1 for Wet Wet Wet in 1994.

1944 Harold Cowart, John Fred and His Playboy Band, (1968 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Judy In Disguise').

1948 Barry Bailey, Atlanta Rhythm Section, (1977 US No.7 single, 'So In To You', 1979 UK No.48 single 'Spooky').

1951 Brad Delp, guitar, vocals, Boston, (1977 UK No.22 single 'More Than A Feeling', 1986 US No.1 single 'Amanda'). Committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning in at his home in the New Hampshire on March 9th 2007.

1951 Bun E Carlos, drums, Cheap Trick, (1979 UK No.29 & US No.17 single 'I Want You To Want Me', 1988 US No.1 single 'The Flame').

1952 Pete Fardon, bass player with The Pretenders, (1980 UK No.1 single with ‘Brass In Pocket’). He died of a drug overdose on April 14th 1983.

1953 Rocky Burnette, singer, (1980, US No. 8 single, 'Tired Of Toein The Line').

1959 John Linnell, They Might Be Giants, (1990 UK No.6 single, 'Birdhouse In Your Soul').

1979 Robyn Carlsson, Swedish singer, (1998 UK No.8 single 'Show Me Love', 2007 UK No.1 single 'With Every Heartbeat').

Events
1935 At age 17, Ella Fitzgerald recorded her first songs. The two songs were "Love and Kisses" and "I'll Chase the Blues Away."

1957 Jerry Lee Lewis' "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" enters the national country & western chart. By the next week it will have made its debut on the national pop chart.

1959 The album "Chuck Berry on Top" was released by Chuck Berry.

1959 Bo Diddley released "Go Go Bo Diddley."

1961 Frankie Avalon starts a 15 day tour of South America.

1964 The Beatles arrived in Adelaide, Australia and were greeted by an estimated 250,000 fans, (the biggest welcome the band would ever receive), who lined the ten mile route from the airport to the city centre. The group gave their first four shows in Australia at the Centennial Hall, Adelaide over two nights, playing: I Saw Her Standing There, I Want To Hold Your Hand, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, This Boy, Long Tall Sally and Twist And Shout. Temporary member Jimmy Nicol was standing in for Ringo on drums who was recovering from having his tonsils removed.

1965 The Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" was released.

1965 The Beatles received their MBE (Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) awards.

1966 The Dave Clark Five made a record 12th appearance on US TV Ed Sullivan show.

1971 Black girl trio Honey Cone went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Want Ads'.

1972 The Sound Broadcasting Act was passed in the UK, providing for 21 new commercial radio stations.

1972 John Lennon and Yoko Ono released "Some Time In New York City."

1972 CCR's "Mardi Gras" LP goes gold.

1975 Almost five years after her death, Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits, released in 1973, goes gold.

1976 On this weeks UK singles chart: No.5, J.J. Barrie, 'No Charge', No.4, Our Kid, 'You Just Might See Me Cry', No.3, Wings, 'Silly Love Songs', No.2, The Real Thing, 'You To Me Are Everything', No.1 The Wurzels 'Combine Harvester.'

1976 Appearing at Swansea City Football Club, Swansea, Wales, The Who, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Little Feat, Outlaws and Streetwalkers.

1978 Playing live around the UK, Dire Straits at Erics, Liverpool. The Thompson Twins at The Limit in Sheffield and The Jam at King George's Hall, Blackburn.

1980 Motown releases Diana Ross' "Diana". It contains the songs, "Upside Down" (her first pop and R&B #1 hit in four years) and "I'm Coming Out".

1982 About 1 million people, including Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt, gathered in New York to rally for nuclear disarmament.

1982 Adam Ant was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Goody Two Shoes'.

1989 Graceland opened the Elvis Presley Autoland Museum, which contains over 20 cars owned by Presley.

1991 Crowded House played the first of two nights at The Borderline in London.

1993 Dutch duo 2 Unlimited went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'No Limits'.

1993 UB40 had their third UK No.1 single with ('I Can't Help), Falling In Love With You'.

1994 Cab Calloway suffered a stroke from which he never truly recovered from. He died November 18, 1994 at the age 86.

1999 It was reported that Oasis had paid Gary Glitter Ł200,000 ($340,000) as an out-of-court settlement after being accused of using the Gary Glitter lyric, ‘Hello, hello, it’s good to be back’ in the song ‘Hello’.

2000 Sinead O’Connor announced that she was a lesbian. The mother of two told the American magazine Curve that she had been in the closet for years saying “I am a lesbian. I haven’t been very open about that, I’ve gone out with blokes because I haven’t necessarily been terribly comfortable about being a lesbian.”

2002 Clive Calder the man who is credited with discovering Britney Spears sold his record company Zomba to BMG Music for $2 billion. Calder started Zomba in 1975 and had hits with Billy Ocean, Sam Fox and Tight Fit.

2004 Lee Ryan from Blue was found guilty of criminal damage and ordered to pay Ł500 ($850) compensation from charges relating to an incident outside London nightclub 10 Rooms the previous December. Ryan admitted to throwing punches at a photographer after being bombarded by snappers when leaving the club, but argued that he was provoked into doing so. Judge Caroline Tubbs accepted that Lee was acting in self-defence, so dismissed any assault charges.

2005 Pink Floyd announced they would reunite with former bassist Roger Waters, who left the band in 1985, on July 2 for the Live 8 London concert. This would be the first time the band had played together as a quartet since The Wall tour in 1981.
Back to top Go down

June 12
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
80s-RADIOmusic ::  80s MISCELLANEOUS :: TODAY IN MUSIC-
Jump to: