80s-RADIOmusic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

August 14

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

August  14 Empty
PostSubject: August 14   August  14 Empty17.11.08 23:50

Births
1941 David Crosby, The Byrds, Crosby Stills Nash & Young. (1969 UK No.17 single 'Marrakesh Express', 1970 US No.11 single 'Woodstock', 1970 US No.1 album 'Deja Vu', 1975 US No. 6 solo album 'Wind On The Water').

1942 Lionel Morton, The Four Pennies, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Juliet').

1946 Larry Graham, bass guitar, Sly and The Family Stone, (1971 US No.1 & 1972 UK No.15 single 'Family Affair'). Formed Graham Central Station.

1947 George Newsome, Climax Blues Band, (1976 UK No.10 and 1977 US No.3 single 'Couldn't Get It Right').

1947 Maddy Prior, singer, Steeleye Span (1975 UK No.5 single 'All Around My Hat'). Solo.

1951 Slim Dunlap, The Replacements, (1984 album 'Let It Be').

1956 Sharon Bryant, Atlantic Starr, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Always').

1961 Sarah Brightman, singer, actress, (1978 UK No. 6 single with Hot Gossip, 'I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper', 1986 UK No.3 single with Cliff Richard, 'All I Ask Of You').

1963 Jez Willis, Utah Saints, (1992 UK No. 4 single 'Something Good').

1965 Mark Collins guitar, The Charlatans, (1990 UK No.9 single 'The Only One I Know', 1996 UK No.3 single 'One To Another', plus 3 UK No.1 albums).

1966 Tanya Donelly singer, guitarist, Throwing Muses, Breeders, (Belly, 1993 UK No.32 single 'Feed The Tree'). Solo

1966 Tanya Donelly singer, guitarist, Throwing Muses, Breeders, (Belly, 1993 UK No.32 single 'Feed The Tree'). Solo

1974 Ana Matronic, (Ana Lynch), vocals, Scissor Sisters, (2004 UK No.1 self-titled album, 2004 UK No. 12 single 'Laura').

1977 Ed Harcourt, UK singer, songwriter, (2003 UK No.39 album 'From Every Sphere').

Deaths
1958 Elvis Presley's mother, Gladys, dies of a heart attack due to liver complications. She was 42.

1988 Ex Hawkwind member Robert Calvert died of a heart attack.

1988 Guitarist Roy Buchanan died after hanging himself in a jail cell after being arrested for drunkenness. Worked with Dale Hawkins, released solo albums during the 70's.

1992 Tony Williams (The Platters) died from diabetes and emphysema at the age of 64.

2002 Dave Williams lead singer of US heavy rock band Drowning Pool was found dead on the band's tour bus during Ozzy Osbournes Ozzfest tour in Manassas, Virginia. The bands debut album, Sinner, had sold over 1 million copies in the US since its release in June 2001.

Events
1956 A Washington, DC, DJ, Bob Rickman, created the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Elvis Presley.

1962 Unhappy with drummer Pete Best's role in The Beatles Brian Epstein and the other three members decide to sack him. Best played his last gig the following night at The Cavern, Liverpool.

1965 Sonny & Cher started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Got You Babe'.

1965 The Beatles fifth album 'Help!' started a nine-week at No.1 on the UK charts.

1965 The McCoys' "Hang On Sloopy" was released.

1967 All UK offshore pirate radio stations were closed down when the marine broadcasting act came into force. Radio Caroline continued to broadcast until March 68.

1968 'Fire' by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. As part of his act Brown would perform the song on stage with his hat set alight!

1970 Stephen Stills was arrested on cocaine possession charges at a motel in La Jolla, CA. He was released on $2,500 bail.

1970 The first day of the three day UK Yorkshire Folk, Blues & Jazz Festival at Krumlin, Yorkshire, featuring Atomic Rooster, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, Elton John, Mungo Jerry, Yes, Alan Price, Georgie Fame, Juicy Lucy, Pretty Things and The Groundhogs. Weekend tickets, L3.

1971 Rod Stewart released "Maggie May."

1971 The Moody Blues went to No.1 on the UK chart with their sixth album 'Every Good Boy Deserves A Favour'.

1974 Paul Anka's "You're Having My Baby," is gold despite its denouncement by feminists. The objection is the use of the word 'my' as in "my baby", not "our baby." It is Number One by the end of the summer.

1976 The Steve Miller Band's "Rock 'N Me" was released.

1976 Nick Lowe's debut solo single, "So It Goes," was released.

1985 Michael Jackson outbid Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono for the ATV music-publishing catalog. Jackson paid $47.5 million for the rights to more than 250 songs written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

1989 Bon Jovi's "New Jersey" album became the first U.S. album to be released legally in the Soviet Union. The Russian label Melodiya paid the group with a truckload of firewood since rubles can't leave Russia.

1992 Wayne Newton filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

1993 Freddie Mercury had his first solo UK No.1 single with 'Living On My Own'.

1995 The Grateful Dead met and decided to cancel their fall tour in the wake of Jerry Garcia's death.

1998 Former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev was a visitor at the 10th Popkomm music fair.

1998 PBS premiered a documentary on Robbie Robertson's Indian heritage. "Robbie Robertson: Making A Noise _ A Native American Musical Journey."

1999 In Los Angeles, CA, Leif Garrett plead guilty to drug possession to get into a rehabilitation program. He had been arrested on June 29, 1999.

1999 765,000 tickets to a Backstreet Boys North American tour were sold in one day.

1999 Ronan Keating had the UK No.1 single with 'When You Say Nothing At All'. Christina Aguilera was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Genie In A Bottle'.

2000 Police in Los Angeles, CA, fired pepper spray and rubber bullets to clear a crowd of 9,000 people when a free concert by Rage Against the Machine turned violent.

2001 The Red Hot Chili Peppers canceled a concert planned in Israel. The concert had been planned for August 28th, but was canceled due to security concerns. The U.S. State Department had issued an advisory the recommended that U.S. citizens not travel to Israel.

2003 One True Voice the boyband formed from the ITV1 pop talent show Popstars: The Rivals split up. The group were formed alongside Girls Aloud after winning their places in the Popstars: the Rivals series. One True Voice were later voted Britain's worst group in a poll just a day after their tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

2005 James Blunt topped both the UK singles chart (with 'You're Beautiful'), and album charts ('Back to Bedlam'), for a fifth week in a row, a feat last achieved by Celine Dion. Her single 'Think Twice' and album 'Colour Of My Love' topped both charts simultaneously for five weeks in 1995.

2005 Babyshambles frontman Pete Doherty was forced to endure an all-body strip search at Gardermoen Airport in Norway after being held by customs officers for three hours while they ensured he was carrying no drugs.

2005 Faith Hill was at No.1 on the US chart with 'Fireflies', Hill's third consecutive album to debut at number 1 on both the country and Billboard album charts.

2006 Boy George was seen sweeping streets in New York as part of a five-day community service sentence. The former Culture Club frontman was moved into a fenced-off area after only 30 minutes because he was mobbed by the media. The 45-year-old singer was found guilty of wasting police time earlier this year and was threatened with jail if he failed to complete the court-imposed sentence.
Back to top Go down

August 14
Page 1 of 1